Sunday 22 July 2012

1ª Cursa de Muntanya de Sant Andreu de la Barca - 13k

The last race before the summer holidays. After a very warm week today we were lucky with a cloudy sky this morning. We arrived nicely on time and after picking up my Bib-number and the orange T-shirt of this run I changed shirts. We met Marcos and Paco, two runners I explored the course of today's race with last week and started warming up with them while the rest of the family headed back to the car to stay warm.

At 9h20 runners started to gather at the start and I found a place in the front line. Everyone is very relaxed, so no pushing here :) !!! At 9h30 we're off, and to my surprise in spite of not blasting away I am out in front for the first meters.



In the first climb we are three runners and immediately the group stretches out in a long line. In the first climb a few runners pass me and I had to let go of the front runners. In the downhills I more or less can keep up, but in the uphill I slowly fall back and a few more runners pass me. After a stretch of relatively flat running we I arrive at the first water-station in 25 minutes, flush down half a bottle of water and cool my head with most of what is left. Shortly after, the big climb of the race starts, but I feel ok. In the beginning a few runners pass me but in the second half of the climb I maintain the same distance to them and even gain a bit near the top. A guy on a bike goes along and takes pictures or films the runners that pass. He must be in good condition too, to be able to climb at the pace of runners with only one hand on the steer. (Later on I learn his nick name is Petreli and below his video, thanks a lot!!!)



A few action-shots of me around 0m46 and 2m41

Just past the top I pass the second water-station in 40 minutes and just past a huge villa, Can Xandri, the steep downhill starts. One of the people helping out to indicate the right paths, keeps count of how many runners passed and tells me I am 17th now. The downhill is very long, with some short breaks of flat running and short climbs. Around 54 minutes I pass the third water-station and repeat the ritual of drinking and cooling my head. When we are getting close to the village another runner passes me being stronger in the downhill and looking back I see a big group of runners behind so I push to stay with the runner that just passed me. Just before finishing one runner of the trailing group passes me but with a last sprint I put an excellent 1h08m07s on the clock.




Both my wife and my daughter made photos at the finish and after picking up a huge "bocatta" and a beer and sportsdrink I chat a while with other runners and then reunite with my family.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment