Sunday 24 September 2023

Matagalls - Montserrat 2023

After finishing my last mountain marathon I felt I was not fully ready for stepping up to any ultra race with the typical D+ of 5000 meters or more. So I decided to sign up for the Matagalls Montserrat, which is long, 84 km, but has less total climbing, so in race time it would be just "somewhat" longer than running a mountain marathon.

Since the plan was to finish around 7am early Sunday morning I drove up to the Montserrat Monastery on Saturday morning, took the "Cremallera" down to Monistrol de Montserrat from where the organization had organized transport to the starting area in Brull. The previous editions I started from Coll Formic, but that point has little to no room and is hard to get to either by bus or by car, and Brull is much easier, though over 3000 people is still a lot and when we got to the start area it was already very busy and somewhat chaotic.






After checking out the start area I sat down in the shadow and had dinner and after wandered off to a more quiet place and wait for my time to start at 16h44. The first people would start this resistance march (it is not a race) just before 15h00 and after every minute a new group of people would start.





When the first people get under way I find a spot in the starting area and after a while by pure coincidence a friend, Barend and his wife Ingrid come to the same spot to wait for their moment to get under way, about one hore before me. We have a nice chat and then they go down and start walking. I do some last drinking and eating and then go down to the start and at 16h44 I start my 4th MM, as always running the first part. If the first part was easy in earlier editions, this time it was even more easy since the first 3km where all on asphalt and after a wide easy gravel road, so my pace was between 5m and 6m per km depending on the slight up and downhills of this section. Soon we start the descent into Aïguafreda and after a few switch backs we enter town, meanwhile chatting with people. Here I only make sure to have enough water, pick up an energy bar and some banana and continue my way onto the first climb. Just after leaving town we enter a single trail for a while and it is still crowded so for some minutes we go very slow. After that turn onto a much wider trail and everyone can go at their own pace, though as you can see in the pictures it is still very crowded here. Up higher the views of the cliffs here are amazing.




After the climb a short flatter section follows with a nice trail that winds through fields and then a second shorter and more easy climb up a rocky trail follows. Here I pass Barend and Ingrid and after fotos and wishing eachother good luck I am on my way again. 



From there on 





Finished in 14h28m52s

No comments:

Post a Comment