Sunday 25 November 2018

Jean Bouin - 10k

Though not completely recovered from the last ultra I very much wanted to do a 10k run through Barcelona and the first opportunity I could schedule was today's Jean Bouin. I got up early as always and prepared the few things you need for a 10k and left for the nearby metro station. When already waiting for the first train to arrive I noticed I forgot to put on the timing chip. It has been a long time I did not run 10k's!!! So I headed back home, fetched my chip and still managed to get to the starting area well on time. Though it was cold this morning, the running back home had warmed me up and I took off the long sleeve thermal T-shirt and went with a regular running T-shirt to do some gentle warm-up. My right achilles tendon is still somewhat tender from the long ultra race a month ago and maybe I shouldn't even be here running, but I know I want to do this.

At nine o'clock we are shot away after a surprise countdown from 5 to go!!!! The first meters involve some pushing and running carefully in order to not trip or be tripped and soon I try to settle for an easy pace. Much to my surprise the first time I see my kilometer time at 2k I am at under 4m/k pace, which ofcourse was not my plan, but the moment made me run faster. Up to the 5k marker all went quite well and I passed under 21 minutes. After that my achilles was signalling it was enough for today so the second 5k I just tried to balance between pace and pain. I knew it was nothing really bad and I could still finish with a smile just under 45 minutes which I am more than happy with. I know that with the injury fixed form and speed is still there, so time for ice, massage and rehabilitation to get there soon!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment