Tuesday 20 August 2024

Trail Moixeró - 36km

Race day!! Finally!! Eventhough not yet fully recovered I can run longer distances again. Recovering from a calf strain has been a long process, and this race has been a test of where I am at really. After debating the different options I decided to not sleep near Bagá but wake up early and drive up there early Sunday morning. With some 20km to go it started to rain, from time to time heavily, and I did the last preparations all in the car and geared up for rain when I went looking for my bibnumber. After picking that up along with the goodie bag I walked back to the car to store the latter and then walked back again to the starting area, which was also a good warm up for my left achilles tendon and surrounding area. The tendon itself seems to be ok, but something is off still, since I tend to get aches from time to time. 



 Around 7 am we huddled up at the start line. The rain was down to a very light drizzle and I had put my raincoat back in the backpack again. At 7 am we started our run through the streets of Baga. The first kilometer was flat and then we left the village and started the first climb which right away had some very narrow paths that ofcourse slowed down the pace a lot. The forest was very wet still and slippery , but the path itself was not too steep and in general quite good to walk or run on depending on the incline. After about one hour we reached the top and the views opened up to an amazing landscape with the Pedraforca in the distance.


Soon after we reached the first aidstation, which this early was a really quick stop.


From there on to the second aidstation was some really nice single track that was mostly runnable.

 



Somewhere on a rocky section I slipped and got a deep cut on my right elbow. Apart from the cut I was ok and when running on easy terrain I arranged one of my bandanas as a bandage and it stopped the bleeding nicely. At the next aid station I completely filled up with water, eventhough we would have a small aid station in about 3 kilometers. I was feeling good with from time to time a bit sensitive in the left achilles tendon, but nothing to worry about. 


At the next aidstation I only picked up a piece of banana and then started the long and steep uphill to the highest point of the race. To make sure I did not load the achilles tendon too much I had decided to go very easy eventhough I would take longer, knowing that from the top onwards the path would be basically all downhill and hopefully I could run it all.


Once out of the woods the views were amazing and I steadily walked up enjoying the landscape. Eventhough the sky was with less clouds now it was still not too warm.


At the top we only had a time control and the next few meters I walked and drank water, took a gel and then slowly started to run.


Once again the views were incredible and the terrain for the most part runnable apart from some very rocky sections.


Soon we arrived at the 4th aid station at Coll de Pendis. Here I started to feel tired, but apart from that I felt good and I soon left for a more complicated downhill back to Baga.


This part is very slippery and in the lower part the path goes right trough a small creek that flows trough the valley. At points we can jump from stone to stone, at other points it is safer to just walk right through the water. The risk of getting wet feet is high anyway and slipping and falling is much worse.


Right at the end of this tricky downhill we get to the next aid station. From there on only 6 kilometers left to the finish line. 


The next part is very warm, and also I am tired by now. I still run all the flat sections, but at a slow pace, also to make sure I would not push my left lower leg too much. After some slight up and downhill running on a single track we run onto the "Via del Nicolau", an old path used by miners in the area in the past. This part is warm, but almost completely flat and easy to run. We cross 2 tunnels and soon we arrive back in Baga again. I push the last few hundred meters to go under 6h30 and finnish 6h28m37s!! In spite of holding back, much quicker than I expected and very happy with how it went.



Place 202, which is not last and knowing I can improve quite a bit on that and also I will certainly repeat. As always many thanks to the organization and the volunteers!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment